One Pot Pork, Mushroom and Green Bean Stir Fry


So lately I've been trying to introduce less carbs into my diet and massively increase my vegetable intake through Tim Ferris's slow carb plan from his book The 4 Hour Body.  (More about Tim Ferris later.  I am kind of obsessed with his books/podcast right now).

Therefore, I have been trying to increase my store of slow carb friendly recipes, and in doing so I discovered this delicious combination of flavors purely by accident:  it was what I had in the fridge at the time and I was ready for dinner! (Which if I'm honest, is how most of the things I eat come to be.  Even though I plan ahead.  Life happens guys.)

For this recipe you will need:

ground pork
onion
mushrooms
some sort of vegetable (I used frozen green beans, but peas or peppers or broccoli would also be good here)

To add flavor:
soy sauce
garlic
red pepper flakes
oyster sauce
sesame oil

To start, slice the mushrooms and onions.



While you are doing that, throw the ground pork into a large pan to brown.  Season with pepper. (Skip the salt for now because we are going to add soy sauce, which is salty enough.)



Once the pork has browned, remove it from the pan and add in the mushrooms and onions.



Cook them until they are well on their way to getting all lovely and caramelized and melty and delicious. You may or may not need to add a little bit of olive oil, depending on how much fat was left in the pan from the ground pork. When they are almost to the melting point, add in the frozen (or fresh) veggies.  At this point I also add in a generous amount of soy sauce, oyster sauce, and some red pepper flakes depending on how much heat you like.  I also added some chopped garlic (I buy mine pre-chopped).



When the veggies are warmed through, add the ground pork back into the pan.  Once everything has had a few minutes to meld together, I turn off the heat and add a little bit of sesame oil for extra flavor.

This would be great served with rice.  Since I'm trying to eat low carb we ate it with a salad.  It is also lovely all on it's own.

Cheers!

Comments

Popular Posts