Books to read while traveling

Before I go on a trip, I always load about a million books onto my Kindle.  My recent trip to India was no exception.  This time, I went with a mix of cozy and mystery, two of my go-to genres.  I also loaded up a couple of books set in India, but did not actually get to them on the  trip.  I found once I was in India, instead of wanting an immersion experience, I needed something a bit more distracting, to get me through a couple nights of jet-lag and and an overnight train... complete with rats!


The Cafe by the Sea by Jenny Colgan

The Cafe by the Sea (Summer Seaside Kitchen, #1)

The cafe by the sea was my first introduction to Jenny Colgan and I found it to be absolutely delightful.  It was exactly what a needed, a little bit "chicky" and easy to read, but still having some themes worth thinking about. I have also read and enjoyed her Little Beach Street Bakery and plan to read more of her lovely novels.

Black Chalk

Black Chalk

Black Chalk was quite different.  It was distracting as well, but in a completely different way.  If you like reading about college friendships gone awry (Think The Likeness or The Secret History) then you will likely enjoy this book.  As I have a perverse love for this genre,  I enjoyed the ride -- a gradual descent into inevitable madness and disaster.

The Cater Street Hangman

The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1)

The Cater Street Hangman was a bit in the middle.  It was definitely cozier than Black Chalk, with a mystery and a bit of a love story.  It is a mostly cozy historical mystery with some family drama set into the mix.  I thoroughly enjoyed it and plan to continue on with the series, and was a perfect light diversion on my travels.

Arrowood


Arrowood

Arrowood was another mystery with some family drama set in.  In this book a young girl's twin sisters disappear, the mystery is never solved, and of course is affects her all of her life.  Her life in ruins, she comes home and ends up solving the mystery.  This book held my attention, but it did not enjoy it quite as much as the others on the list.

Comments

Popular Posts