Cozy Mysteries: Witchcraft Mysteries

In a Witch's Wardrobe
Lately I have found cozy mysteries to be something of an addiction. This weekend I went tent-camping with the bf and a new friend, and we got back Monday morning.  Suffice to say that with the prepping and hiking and breathing all that wonderful out-side air, that I was quite exhausted by the time we got home.  However, by that evening I had burned through book four of  Juliet Blackwell's WitchCraft series.  The funny thing is is that I almost did not even start this series.  In the first part of the first book, someone gives the main character a gargoyle witch's familiar as a gift.  For some reason I found this strange/annoying and put down the book for a bit in favor of something else.  However, I eventually went back to it and fell in love with the characters and the quirky story line.  It's a bit of a mix of mystery, romance, and magic, but the magic is obviously well researched by the author and feels authentic, rather than ridiculous.  The romance is also interesting, and Blackwell does a good job of keeping it interesting and drawing things out a bit without falling totally into the love triangle trap that works so well, but can also be rather predictable.  I felt that the mystery was second-hand to the characters and the magic, but that's okay as I often enjoy cozy mysteries for the characters as much as/ if not more than the actual mystery.  All in all I can't wait for the next book to come out in July!


Comments

Popular Posts